83, 05', 00" W
10° 01' 30" North Latitude
Moin is an important center for shipping, just east of San Jose on the Atlantic coast of Costa Rica is located, a sub-ports of Puerto Limon, the country's main port. The nearest international airport is the Juan Santamaria, is located about 153Km in the city of Alajuela.
Medium sized port handling dry cargo and petroleum products from Refineria de Recope in Moin.
Moin located 3.0 n.m. W×N of Puerto Limon.
The Customs authorities now stipulate that:
- All cargo on board of the vessel with destination Costa Rica must be manifested.
- The manifest and Bills of lading must be registered in the customs Systems (TICA) 24hrs before ship´s arrival
- Cargoes entering and have not been manifested will be confiscated in the Port´s terminals.
Violations of this rules will have the following consequences:
- Any ship that has not been entered into customs system (TICA) will not be docked.
- Any failure to cargo manifested evident in quantities or weight, will be fined.
Documents for authorities:
- 7 crew list
- 7 port of call
- 4 vacinnation list
- 5 Ship Particulars
- 5 Health maritime declaration
- 7 nil list ( no arms, no drugs, no stowaways, etc)
- 3 Crew list departure
- 3 ship store declaration
- 4 tonnage certificate
- Original last port clearence and 2 copies
- 3 International Security Certificate
- 3 Registry Certificate
- 3 Cargo Manifest
- 3 Stowage Plan
- 4 Dangerous Cargo on board if have
- 3 Crew Effects Declarations
- Ships Certificate in Original for Revision
Direct entrance from open sea, pilot board the ship at half mile from port, authorities visit the vessel once docked at pier
At half mile from port, with a draft between 14-15mts
Max channel draft: 15 mts.
Density of water: 1,021 (salt water)
Compulsory, available throughout 24 hours. Pilot boards in position , approx. 1.5 n.m. north of the port.
Moin Pilot listens on VHF Channel 16 and works on VHF Channel 10.
To berth on arrival, vessels should arrive at Puerto Limon before 1500 hrs.
Pilot ladder to be rigged on the starboard side as per IMPA/SOLAS requirements 1.0 m. above the water.
Weather conditions suitable for docking and undocking manoeuvres, subject to discretion of pilot’s office.
Vessels should advise ETA 72hrs, 48hrs, 24 in advance, including the following:
- LOA, draft.
- No. of passengers disembarking (Nil).
- No. of Tonnes to be loaded/unloaded.
- No. of gangs required for onboard tasks
- Max Length of 250 mts
- Max Draft of 12mts for pier 5-1 (oil products) and 10.5 mts for the remaining ones.
- Services of fresh water, sludge removal, garbage disposal are available.
Quantity of piers:
The port of Moin has 6 springs:
|5/1||218 mts||13 mts||13 mts||213,3mts||11,8 mts||Petroleum products|
|5/2||10 mts||10 mts||200 mts||9,50 mts||Ro-Ro|
|5/3||525 mts||10 mts||10 mts||150 mts||9,50 mts||Bananas, containers|
|5/4||10 mts||10 mts||150 mts||9,70 mts||Bananas, containers|
|5/5||10,5 mts||10,5 mts||150 mts||10 mts||Bananas, containers|
|5/6 (Taiwan)||250 mts||11 mts||11 mts||210 mts||10,60 mts||Containers, general|
*: Max. LOA 150 m., if all 3 berths are occupied.
*: Berths No. 5/1–5/2 bollards placed at 22.0 m. centres, other berths bollards placed at 29.0 m. centres.
*: Berths No. 5/3–5/5, there are four open sided cargo handling sheds for reefer cargos. 1×129.5×15.7 m., 1×70×12.0 m., 1×70×15.0 m. and 1×101×15.0 m.
Forklifts, 2 reachstackers, 8 Mafis, no shore crane available.
Density of Water:
1,021 (Salt Water)
Air draft Restriction:
Day light Restriction:
Port security facilites:
All port facilities in terminal and main areas have closed circuit television monitored 24hrs, Port’s Moin terminal has the ISPS specifications.
ISPS Compliance: Security Level # 1
The port of Moin works 24hrs, 7 days per week, except 1st may (Workers day)
Watchmen on board:
In port´s Limon is not compulsory to have watchmen on board, however it is advisable to avoid risks of drugs, stowaways, arms, etc.
Tides and currents:
The maximum increase of the tides is 3 winds speed can be very variable during the year.
BA Charts No. 396 and 1378.
Publications: BA East Coasts of Central America Pilot, NP 69A.
Limits considered as arrival 1.0 n.m. off the breakwater.
Containers: Draft 11.5 mts.
Ro-Ro: Draft 10.5 mts.
Tankers: Draft 11.0 mts.
Approach channel length 1,100 m., width 200 m., depth 14.0 m.
Vessels anchor 1.0 n.m. off the port near the Fairway/Sea Buoy in depth 14.0–15.0 m.
Port Control listens on Channel 16 and works on Channel 10.
Three tugs available.
Container yard has 160 reefer points, total capacity 1,200 TEU.
Ro-Ro: Vessels berth at Berth No. 5/2. Ramp at the eastern corner of the berth, width 30.0 m., height range 3.75–2.78 m. subject to tidal effect.
Facilities: Berths No. 5/1–5/2, linear length 218 m., with linked mooring dolphin, total length 232 m. Manifold centre 77.0 m. from western end of quay. Berth face to tank farm 1,100 m.
There are stevedoring companies work throughout 24 hours.
Opening/Closing Hatches: Carried out by stevedores.
Service available on request through Agent before arrival in port.
Service available. Contact Agent
Hospital Dr. Tony Facio Castro, Limon.
Available. Contact Agent.
Police / Ambulance / Fire:
Emergency Tel: 911 or 112. Medical (Cruz Roja Costarricense) www.cruzroja.or.cr
Security / Gangway:
Recommended vessels take precautions.
Watchmen: Available with notice. Contact Agent.
Port works throughout 24 hours, and is only closed on 1 May and presidential election day (every 4 years).
Weather / Tides:
Tidal surge may occur when winds come from the north, occasionally in December and January.
Mobile telephone coverage provided, GSM 850/1800 and 3G 850/2100 (2013).
Limon Domestic Airport, 9 km. San Jose International Airport, 153 km.
Served by Highways 32 and 36. Highway 32 (the Guapiles Highway) runs east–west to San Jose; Highway 32 is a busy road which coils steeply down the mountains and is often fog-bound, landslides are frequent resulting in its closure. Highway 36 is coastal, running southbound to the border with Panama.
One packet of cigarettes may be taken ashore. No alcohol may be taken ashore.
Crew members are allowed to go ashore.
Supplied by the Agent
Para de Recope Pier 5-1:
- Maximum draft: 12.0 meters salt water
- Maximum vessel displacement: 65,000 MT
- Maximum LOA: 213.3 meters (700 ft)
- Shore pipelines length: 3.5 km
- Shore tanks altitude: 4 meters above sea level.
- Mooring lines in forecastle winches must arrive rigged with soft rope material.
- The rest don't matter and can be of wire.
- Shore connections available in Port Moin are 8" only.
- Please make sure vessel has at least 3 reductions to 8".
- All vessel's certificates must be valid. Recope will check if any has expired.
- Please advise loadport and ETA disport Moin.
- Please provide a copy of CLC.
When delivering multigrade cargoes, Recope requires vessel to discharge simultaneously Jet Fuel, Diesel and Gasolines. Please confirm this issue to get Recope's approval for the vessel.
Configuration of shore connections at discharge Port Moin requires the vessel to discharge through center manifold connections as follows:
- Jet Fuel parcel using connections toward bow side
- Gasolines parcels using connections toward stern side
- Diesel using connections between Jet Fuel and Gasoline connections (±middle). This is to avoid crossing of hoses on shore.
Total distance between shore lines in shore manifold is 9 meters total (total width of shore manifold)
- Operator: APM Terminals Americas (Portsmouth Virginia, USA). www.apmterminals.com
- Phase 1: Breakwater length 1,500 m. Quay wall, length 600 m. having 1 dedicated container berth, 6 post-Panamax gantry cranes, encasing 400,000 sq.m. of hinterland, depth alongside 16.0 m.
- Phase 2: Construct a further 900 m. of quay wall, totalling 1,500 m., increasing depth to 18.0 m., encasing a further 400,000 sq.m., totalling 800,000 sq.m. of hinterland, depth alongside 18.0m.
Head Office: Junta de Administracion Portuaria y de Desarrollo, Economico de la Vertiente Atlantica (JAPDEVA), Apartado Postal 1320-7300, Costa Rica. Tel: +506 2758 0567. Fax: +506 2758 3229. www.japdeva.go.cr
Port Office: Junta de Administracion Portuaria y de Desarrollo, Costa Rica. Tel: +506 2795 4143. Fax: +506 2795 3316. www.japdeva.go.cr Contact: Luis Navarro Roldan, Intendente Portuario. email@example.com
Agent: Local Office, one block next to bonded sislocar warehouse, in front of main recope Terminal gate, Moin, Puerto Limon Costa Rica.